Wednesday 12 November 2008

Nepali folk song about pityful situation of Nepalese soldier in Indian Army

This is the immortal song in Nepalese Folk Music. I donot know exactly when this song was first made public but I have been hearing it since my childhood. It used to be enjoyed by many people.
The singer was the Late Jhalak Man Gandharva. Gandharva were and still used to be discriminated as the lower cast in Nepal, however I donot believe in cast system and extremely hate anykind of discrimination on the basis of caste, religion and such other things.
These Gandharvas are still very poor in Nepal and make their livelihoods by singing door to door. The famous singer of this song, Jhalak Man never enjoyed his life to the full extent due to deep poverty.
This song made him immortal in the nepalese people. He made this song with the bitter situation of Nepalese Lahure (rented soldier) into Indian Army. There has been widely recruited brave Nepalese youngster in some Nepalese Batallion in Indian Army, and they always lead from the front line under the flag of India (and also as Gurkhas under the British flag). The situation of nepalese soldiers are poorer in Indian Army. They have been fighting many war and lost many lives. This the story of one such Lahure (rented soldier), who use to remember is relatives and friend before he lose life. In the song, he shows his great respect to his mother and donot want to let her know about her death. He remembers his father and wants to say that he his winning the war since he doesnot want to let his father head down! What a honor!
Similarly, in the song he wants to say the bitter things about his elder brother and his wife. May be he had faced torture from these, so he wants to say him to celebrate his death since after his death, they can enjoy the properties alone.
He has respect to his sister, daughter and friends. He wants to say that he is dead only to his friend on the song.

The last sentence on the song is so powerful that when father knows abou the death of his beloved song; "he cries for one year: but for mother, she cries for her whole life" The simple and very rough translation of song is:

"Donot cry too much my beloved mother:I will send my photographs if I survive

What a poor destiny is given to me by almighty! My destiny is so poor !

Father may ask, 'where is my son?'
say him that I am conquering the war!

Mother may ask, 'where is my son?'
Say her that the war has begun!

Elder brother may ask, 'where is my brother?'Say her that be happy !

sister in Law may ask about me!
Tell her to celebrate for enjoying my property alone!

Sister may ask, 'where is my dear brother?'
Say her that presenter of clothes reduced!

Daughter may ask; where is my father?
Donate her some good golds and bangle!

Son may ask, where is my father
Please tell him to take out his cap!

Wife may ask, where is my hubby?
tell her that to enjoy her bachelorhood!

Friend may ask, where is Lahure?
Say him that his LAHURE has died.

The situation is so poorer there they cannot know when even I am dieing!

Father may cry for one year!
My mother will cry for whole life!

The lead has been cut by bullet, and "LAHURE" died in the war!

These was short description of song, however in many places, I couldnot find such a powerful and appropriate word that he used. I am surprised while I heard the sentences about his wife, elder brother and sister in Law. He used some bitter and satirical words to these people, that might be the malpractices of that time (at least 30-50 years back) or he himself might have experienced the same.

The musical instrument that he had used is just a "SARANGI" which is very common and probably the native to Nepal.

No comments: