Sunday 22 March 2009

SLUMS in Mumbai, India

Do you imagine what are these many people doing just 20 meter away from Mumbai International Airport ?!
Hundreds of people surrounding just outside of Airport wall attracted my attention, but why? Any Idea ?
The plane preparing to Landing at Shivaji International Airport at Mumbai. Below is Mumbai Slum.
Mumbai Slum from Mumbai Airport !
Mumbai Slums !
When I watched the Oscar Winning Movie, Slumdog Millionaire by Danny Boyle, I was little surprised and critique about some scenes on the movie. When I saw a boy jumped into the toilet to see the Amitabh Bachan in the movie, I could not believe this might happen in the city like Mumbai, where some of the richest people in the world dwell. But, in my recent travel to Nepal via. Mumbai Airport, I saw the reality of the slumdogs. On the morning of 19th March, when I was returning back to Goettingen via. AirIndia, I saw the people toilettering in crowd just 25 meter away from the Airport boundry. It attracted me. People were sitting very close to each other to toilet, since there was small open space and lots of people to make their daily excretion. I was surprised among them, I saw only men. In the conservative society like Indian, where extreme discrimination between men and women lie, how will the women make their daily toilettering, was the question there. I never expected such a poor and pityful condition of the large number of people living at the heart of Mumbai, just adjacent to International Airport. Does it give pretty view to Indian rulers? Why they never think about the solution of these poor's problem!

1 comment:

shiwakoti said...

I am really feeling proud for having community neplease society in germany but in india there are living lacs of neplease but i couldn't found any community in india. Whether it is in mumbai or any other part of india.